Its end of the month and your home is running out of stock from groceries. Consequently, you move out to get some daily needs from nearby departmental store. However, when moving towards the payment counter after purchasing groceries, you find the invoice to be quite higher than you expected. Later you analyzed that this time you took some more groceries than you needed.
This is one of the real world scenario which happens to customers while purchasing the groceries. One of the reasons behind this cause is the trap of the products which are designed so attractive that you find it hard to resist spending on them. This results in over buying of the commodities, sometimes even those which you do not use frequently. Hence at the end you leave the store paying more than you actually pay every time.
The basic step in this regards is to prepare list of groceries that you actually need. Doing so would help you to take the most preferred items for your home. Further, after purchasing the items of your list, you could look out for other miscellaneous products from the store. Also check out some quick tips to avoid over expenses at the time of buying groceries.
● Fruits and Vegetables – Always insist on buying whole fruits and vegetables in large quantities as you save a lot on them rather than opting for the pre-cut ones. You could prepare various dishes from them as per the requirement and can put the rest to freeze.
● Endcaps – While shopping in the departmental store, you come across various big jars and bars placed at the end of the shelves which are generally attractively designed. Always remember that this is the technique used by manufacturers for their products to be noticed by the customers. Hence always stick to your list as those products force you to buy them.
● What You See Isn’t What You Get – There are times when you find a captivating product and after purchasing when you open, it comes out to be different than what exactly you saw in the store! Thus, implement a habit to look the grocery up and down while selecting.
● Round Up Pricing – Ohh! That product is available for £7.99 in place of £8! Let’s take it. You too might have come across such an eager feeling while purchasing groceries isn’t it? But just hold on! If you round £7.99 then it equals £8 rather than to be £7 which means that there is no price difference. So you could avoid being a part of such marketing tricks.
● Sauces – These are among some of the most preferred items in your list to compliment with your food. So, instead of purchasing ready made sauces you could cut costs by using tomatoes, veggies and herbs to prepare your own sauce.
● Small Pieces of Meat and Cheese – The best step to spend on these products is when they are available for sale, else you could avoid purchasing them. Other than that, you could opt for bigger pieces which are frequently available on sale and ask the butchers to cut them for free.
● Boneless Meat and Poultry – You spend more money upon boneless chicken rather than chicken with bones and skins. Though the latter versions may take more time to prepare, but at the same time they save you a lot of money too.
● Packaged Meat and Cheese – Its better to buy fresh meat instead of opting for the packaged ones as you surprisingly save about 50% of your money. Moreover, the prices of many ready made food items such as sandwiches are now bit costly than earlier. Hence, you could look where you are spending.
In a survey made upon the customers while buying groceries, it has been analyzed that they often spend upon the items and products which are not even in their list. There is no issue for trying out new products and items, but at the same time you could minimize your grocery costs by implementing the above mentioned saving tips.